REVIEW your writing before emailing your final exam to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your email must have Arch 521 – Final Exam as the Subject.
- Download the Word file and rename accordingly: fa19_arch521_lastname_final-exam
- Type your name in the space provided at the top of the page.
- Answer each question in the space provided (500 words max).
- Review your answers and email your Word file before Wednesday, December 18th at 5:00pm.
- Answer three out of the five questions listed below.
- Each answer should be a minimum of 500 words in length.
- Do NOT repeat any of the answers from your midterm exam.
- Responses should address the core of each question. In order to do so, use SPECIFIC examples discussed in class. Be articulate, answer the questions directly, and supplement your answers by weaving course content in intelligent ways.
- To build a cogent answer you will have to explain the counterpart of the question’s subject. I.e.: to talk about post-orthography, you need to talk about orthography.
- The questions are designed to make you think deeply about the provocations laid out during the semester.
- Each answer should demonstrate that you understand the media and technology-based implications of the course. You must use specific examples discussed in class to support your answers — reference and cite work accordingly.
Question 1: Explain the distinction between work and labor made by Hannah Ardent in The Human Condition (1958), and discuss how this distinction affects contemporary robotic labor practices.
Question 2: According to Francesca Hughes, how does Error influence processes of materialization in architecture? Explain these processes in the context of at least one of the “phenomenological practices” discussed in class.
Question 3: In a 1982 interview with Paul Rabinow, Michel Foucault suggested that there are three domains of work slipping away from architects. Discuss the relationship between these three domains and Neri Oxman’s work with the Mediated Matter research group.
Question 4: How is Scientific Management a precondition for Building Information Modeling Processes?
Question 5: How are the three orders of simulation described by Jean Baudrillard in “Simulacra and Simulation” related to the three technical ages outlined by Mario Carpo in “The Alphabet and the Algorithm”?